So you have the travel bug and want to go backpacking. Before you hop on a plane and go, there are some things you should know and sort out first. Below are some tips on how to start planning a backpacking trip.
- Traveling solo vs. with friends – information on pros and cons of traveling solo vs. a group
- Length of travel – determine how much time you and your travel companions have free to travel
- Deciding where to go – you will need to figure out what region or countries you want to visit
- Choosing a guidebook – once you know where you will be traveling, you will need to purchase a good guidebook
Then there is the not so fun, but still very important, part of the planning process. These things should all be sorted out before you leave.
- Travel documents – information on passports and visas
- Travel insurance – do you need it and where to get it from
- Money matters – estimating trip costs, understanding local currencies, and what forms of money to bring with you